The Old Church, The Lee, Buckinghamshire
The Lee is a small village about four miles west of Chesham. The churchyard has two churches, a nineteenth century one to the front, and a smaller medieval church hidden away at the back. In 1898 the estate was bought by Arthur Lasenby Liberty, of Liberty and Co. of Regent Street, London. Liberty had a window designed and made for the nearby church at Great Hampden, to honour the memory of John Hampden, Parliamentary soldier and statesman, who was mortally wounded in a skirmish with Prince Rupert, and is buried there.
The window also depicted Cromwell, and for that reason the church refused to accept Liberty's gift. At the same time, 1902, Liberty was restoring the Old Church at The Lee, and so he found a new and less prominent home for the controversial glass. It would seem that this is the only window to depict Cromwell in an Anglican Church.
The Old Church, The Lee. The legend
below the window states 'To the glory of God and the memory of John
Hampden this window is dedicated by Arthur Lasenby Liberty MLMII'.
Cromwell, shown in full armour with sword in hand, flanks a centre
panel with Hampden and is opposed by a panel of Miles Hobart.